Student Property FAQs
Sheffield Student Properties

Student Search

Filter your results by using the options below.
Select your preferred Area or number of Bedrooms required.
 Show Individual Rooms
PC Properties.

Student Accommodation - FAQs

 - In which areas of Sheffield are your houses and apartments located?

  • Crookes
  • Broomhill
  • Crookesmoor
  • Ecclesall
  • Hunters Bar
  • Hanover Way
  • Broomhall

Our properties range in size from 1 bedroom studio apartments, up to 10 bedroom shared houses.

- When should I start looking for a student property?

Letting of Student Accommodation in Sheffield commences from the 1st November of every year.

The majority of properties tend to be fully let by the Christmas break, so it's advisable to start looking early for a student house in Sheffield, particularly if you want to be sure of finding a good property in a location that suits you.

- How do I arrange a house viewing?

Call us on 0114-267-6177
Email us at
Visit us at 398, Ecclesall Road, S11 8PJ

In addition to normal working hours, we also carry out viewings on weekends and evenings during the busy letting period, November to December.

Please bear in mind we must provide our tenants with at least 24 hours notice of any viewing.

All viewings are accompanied by a PC Properties member of staff, and you can either meet us at the property or at our office.

To minimise inconvenience to the current tenants, please ensure wherever possible that all members of your group are present at the viewing. This will also make the decision process much quicker, and will reduce the risk of loosing the property to another group! 

During the viewing, feel free to ask as many questions as you like, e.g, cost of utility bills, what's the neighbourhood like, are there any maintenance issues, etc. We would also encourage you to ask the current tenants any relevant questions, particularly with regard to the quality of service provided by PC Properties.

- We have viewed the property and wish to rent it; what do we need to do now?

Once you have confirmed your interest in letting the property, we always provide a draft copy of the tenancy contract. We are pleased to receive any questions or provide clarification.

Before you enter in to any contractual tenancy agreement, we strongly recommend that you make your parents aware of your intentions. If they have any queries regarding your proposed tenancy, then we would be pleased to answer any questions they may have. 

Once you are happy to proceed and to reserve the property, you will need to make an appointment to sign the tenancy contract, pay the refundable deposit, pay the administration fee, and complete a Tenant Details form.

Please bear in mind that any shared house tenancy contract is a joint one, and therefore all rent payments and any possible damages become the joint responsibility and liability of all tenants.  Our tenancy agreement states; "The Tenant acknowledges that if more than one person is named on this agreement, the Tenant liability and obligations under the terms of the agreement shall be joint and several between those name".

- How long does the tenancy agreement last for?

The property is let on the basis of an assured shorthold tenancy agreement.  PC Properties normally let student accommodation in Sheffield for a 12 month period (1st July – 30th June the following year). 

If you find that you love your property and want to stay on another year, we will give you the option to renew your tenancy for the next academic year.

- Are utility bills & WIFi included?

You have the option to opt for inclusive or exclusive of utility bills, although selected properties must be rented on an all-inclusive utility bill basis. (please email or call for further information).

Our all inclusive rent rates include gas, electric, water & T.V licence. (See below re. WIFI)

If you decide not to opt for all bills inclusive, then as a guideline, you should allow £10-12 per person per week to cover bills. Before committing to any property, please do carefully consider the cost of renting and plan your budget for the year ahead, taking in to account not only the rent but utility bills,  food and other day to day living expenses.

WIFI is provided free of charge to all of our student properties.

The WIFI service provider is Plusnet and the phone is supplied by British Telecom.

The WIFI is based on an unlimited managed broadband service.

The WIFI service is maintained and supported by a Sheffield based IT company - Gemish Ltd.

In the event of any problem with the WIFI service, you contact Gemfish directly. They will undertake to resolve any issues within a 24 hour period.

Gemfish provide an excellent support service and should you have any issues, you will not be faced with the the problems and frustration many of us have encountered when we have had to contact the support desk of some of the larger internet service providers!    

- Do we have to pay council tax?

No. As a student you are exempt from council tax, PC Properties will inform the council for you and apply for your exemption form.  However, the council may also contact you and request proof of your student status. 

Please note that if you were to cease to become a student during your tenancy, you may be liable to pay council tax.

- Do I need to insure the property?

Only insure your personal belongings against theft, loss or damage.  Our insurance policy provides buildings insurance cover.

- Are locks fitted on bedroom doors?

Yes, all of our properties are fitted with locks to all bedrooms.

These locks are approved by Sheffield City Council which have a thumb turn on the inside allowing exit from the bedroom in an emegency without the use of a key.

- Do I need a parking permit?

If the property does not have off-road parking, you will need a parking permit.

All areas, except Crookes, require parking permits.

Each permit costs £46.80 per year for the first vehicle, and £93.60 per year for additional vehicles (Note: Sheffield City Council may restrict the number of permits per household)

Visitors permits can be obtained are £16.25 for a booklet of 25 permits - each visitors permit is only valid for 24 hours.

For more information, contact Sheffield City Council Parking Services on;

Tel: 0114-273-5469


Web Site Link:

- What is included in the property?

The fixtures and fittings for each property may vary, but in general, a typical house will include;

Electric cooker (houses with 6+ occupants have x2)
Electric Hob (houses with 6+ occupants have x2)
Fridge/freezer (houses with 6+ occupants have x2)
Microwave Oven

Note: Any other kitchen appliances/utensils such as; cutlery, crockery, toasters, kettles, waste bins, iron & ironing board, bedding, cleaning supplies, mops & buckets are not provided. We do however provide a vacuum in all of our properties.

Double Bed or 3/4 Bed as a minimum.

Chest of Drawers
Internet and T.V aerial points

40" HD T.V
Dining table & chairs

- Does the property comply with regulations?

All properties are tested for the following;

Gas Safety (Annually)
Fire Alarm (Annually & Periodically)
Emergency Lighting (Annually)
Electrical Inspection  (every 5 years)
Fire Extinguisher (Annually)
Energy Performance (every 10 years)
In compliance with Goverment legislation, any property which is let to 5 tenants or more, occupying 2 habitable stories or more, must be licensed with Sheffield City Council, and as such are subject to fire, safety and health regulations. A copy of the licence is avaialble on request. Alternatively, you may contact Sheffield City Council Private Sector Housing on 0114-273-4680

- What fire prevention facilities does the property have?

In compliance with manadatory regulations, all required areas of the property have a mains wired interlinked fire alarm system, and as a minimum include smoke detectors to communal areas.

Properties with 6 bedrooms or more, also provide a smoke detector to each bedroom.

Carbon Monoxide detectors are provided to all properties.

The kitchen will have a heat detector as well as a dry powder extinguisher and a fire blanket.

Normally, a fire extinguisher is also usually situated in the hallway and on each landing.

All doors  on the protected escape route, are fitted with self closing devices and provide 30 minute fire protection

- Once I have signed for the property, can I leave or be released from the Tenancy Contract at any point?

No, upon signing the tenancy contract, please be aware that you have entered in to a legally binding agreement for the specified term.

However, we appreciate that there may be unforseen circumstances where an individual may require to be released from their tenancy contract.  Any such request must be formally made and agreed with PC properties. It is your responsibility to find a replacement tenant.

All obligations under the terms of the contract must be met up to the date on which a replacement formally takes over the agreement. A discretionary £50 Administration fee may be charged, and this is normally deducted from your deposit. Any replacement can only be accepted subject to the agreement and satisfaction of PC Properties, and with the written agreement of all tenants.

- We want to rent the house and sign the contract, what’s next?

To reserve the property, we require that you make a firm appointment within 5 days to visit PC Properties to sign the tenancy agreement and provide the following;

Refundable Deposit = £150.00p (payable by cheque, cash or card)
Administration Fees = None.
Complete a Tenant Details form including contact details, Student ID/Registration Number, details of University course, etc.

Government legislation introduced in 2017, now requires that we must carry out checks to ensure that you have a right to rent a property in the U.K. Therefore, at the point of signing the tenancy contract, you will be required to provide your passport. If you are not a U.K resident, you will also need to provide your study visa and letter of acceptance from your University.

- Deposits

Upon receipt in cleared funds, your refundable deposit of £150.00p will be protected and lodged with a Government approved deposit scheme provider - The Deposit Protection Service Ltd (DPS).

The DPS will provide confirmation of receipt of your deposit together with your Deposit ID number by e-mail.  You will need these to claim your deposit back, so please do keep them safe!

Once you receive confirmation from the DPS that they are in receipt of your deposit, check that your account details on their website are correct -

Should your details change during the course of your tenancy, particularly your mobile number or e-mail address, please do remember to amend this on the DPS web site.

- Rent Payments

We can offer flexibility regarding rent payment dates, and which can be tailored to loan dates.  Allternatively, payment can be made in accordance with the terms of the tenancy agreement, payable in three, four monthly instalments, as follows;

20th June (Covers the period 1st July to 31st October)
20th October (Covers the period 1st November to 28th February)
20th February (Covers the period 1st March to 30th June)

Payment of rent can be made by setting up a standing order with your bank or by providing post dated rent cheques.

- Can I rent the property for a further year?

Yes, we will write to you at the prior to the start of each new letting period, giving you the opportunity to renew your tenancy for a further term.

- When can we move in?

Normally, from 1pm on the 1st of July. 

Keys are collected from our office during normal office hours - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

Collection of keys on a weekend can be arranged provided that we are given adequate notice.

Please note that our office is not open weekends unless the 1st of July should fall on a Saturday or Sunday.

- Will the property be cleaned before we move in?

Yes, all of our properties are professionally cleaned, although this cannot be guaranteed from day one of your tenancy due to the short vacant period/changeover.

Please rest assured that the property will be cleaned as quickly as possible; houses left in poor condition are of course prioritised.

If your house has not been cleaned at the point of moving in, please keep your belongings tidy until the cleaning is completed.

- Is an inventory provided?

Yes, please check, sign, and return it to PC Properties with any amendments/additions.

All properties are inspected at the end of each tenancy. Any repairs, etc identified during our inspection will be dealt with as soon as possible.

Please note that we do not normally provide the inventory until everyone has moved in to the property which is usually around the end of September.

- How do we set up gas, electric and water suppliers?

We can offer very competitive all inclusive utility deals - please contact our office for rental prices inclusive of gas, electric, water & T.V licence.

If you decide to source your own suppliers, PC Properties can provide your opening meter readings together with confirmation of the current suppliers.

When moving in, you should set up an account with your chosen Electric & Gas suppliers as soon as possible. Water services are only supplied by Yorkshire Water; you should also set up an account with them as soon as possible. Please note that you may choose to stay with the current supplier or you can change to a supplier of your choice. Your notice board in the house should provide the contact numbers of most suppliers.

We recommend that any Gas, Electric or Water accounts are set up in your joint names. These are usually billed quarterly.

Please note that you are responsible for all electric, gas, water & T.V licence charges  from the formal commencement date of your tenancy, normally the 1st of July, to the formal end of your tenancy, normally the 30th of June.

- What is required when we vacate the property at the end of our tenancy?

Towards the end of your tenancy we will send you a series of notice’s which are designed to make your move out as stress free as possible, and importantly, to help you ensure a speedy and full refund of your deposit.
Approximately two months before the end of your tenancy we will send you each a deposit claim form, which must be completed and returned to our office by the end of your tenancy.
Please ensure your bedrooms, kitchen, bathrooms, lounge, hallways, stairs and landings are thoroughly cleaned and left tidy before leaving.
The most common source of deposit deductions are house cleaning and rubbish removal. This includes any of your own furniture, utensils and appliances.
Any rubbish or items placed in the cellar area should also be removed and disposed of.
Sheffield City Council operate a 'Red Sack' scheme for disposal of excess rubbish which cannot be accommodated in the bins. Two red sacks will be provided per tenant.
The Red Sack scheme operates from around the end of June up to 1st week of July. PC Properties will deliver a supply of Red Sacks to each property.
House keys must be returned to our office before 1pm on the last day of your tenancy. If you are returning keys by post, then they should be sent by recorded delivery to PC Properties within a secure padded bag and clearly marked with your property address, name and room number.
Ensure you record your final meter readings on the last day of your tenancy. Give these to the suppliers and provide a forwarding address of the bills.

- How do I claim my deposit back?

As per the terms of your tenancy agreement, PC Properties will undertake to authorise the DPS to refund your deposit within 30 days from the end of your tenancy, providing that the following conditions are met;

If the tenancy agreement is inclusive of utility bills, deposits will be released once PC Properties are in receipt of the final bills and providing that the tenants have not exceeded the energy fair usage, and provided that we are in receipt of payment of any excess charges.
Confirmation of utility providers has been supplied to PC Properties
All rents due have been paid in full.
The property has been returned in good clean condition, all rubbish and personal effects have been removed, and has been left in good state of repair
All keys to the property have been returned to PC Properties
All fully completed deposit refund claim forms have been returned to PC Properties
Any bills relating to costs for which the tenants may be liable have been received by PC Properties
For detailed instructions on how to claim back your deposit from the DPS, please go to our Home page.

- Who do we contact if we have a problem or require advice?

During normal office hours (Monday to Thursday 9.00am to 5.00pm & Friday 9am to 4pm) please contact our office at 398, Ecclesall Road, Sheffield S11 8PJ by telephone: 0114-267-6177 or by e-mail:

If the problem is an emergency and is outside of normal office hours, please contact either Phil Darwent (PC Properties Maintenance) on 07968-072610 or Peter Turkington (PC Properties Manager) on 07973-166691

There is an information board in every property (usually in the hallway). This contains all the necessary numbers.  But, please do not hesitate to contact Collette Brookes, Peter Turkington or Amelia Caplan, should you have any query or problem - we are here to help you and to ensure that your stay with PC Properties is a happy one!